It’s been a busy week, so I’ll update today. =0)
This past Wednesday, I made a Vegan Moussaka for supper. It was awesome!Vegan Moussaka 1 Medium Eggplant* 2 Medium Zucchinis* 1 Large Baking Potato* 1/4 C Olive Oil* 1 Large Onion* 4 Garlic* Cloves 1 Can Crushed/Diced Tomatoes* 1 tsp Dried Oregano* 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon* 1/4 tsp Turmeric* Salt and Pepper* to taste Olive Oil* for drizzling * = Organic Vegan Béchamel Sauce 1.2 C Olive Oil* 1/2 C Flour* (g-free flours work well, too) 1/8 tsp Nutmeg* 2 C Coconut* Milk (Soy, Dairy, you choose) Salt and Pepper* to taste * = Organic
:: Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5.
1. Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Salt the slices and lay them in a colander to “sweat” for about 30 minutes. The “sweating” process draws out the bitterness from the eggplant.
2. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices, set them aside.
3. Heat oil in pan over medium heat and saute the onion until almost transparent. Add garlic, oregano, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix through, then add tomatoes and simmer 5-10 minutes.
4. Lightly oil the bottom of your baking dish.
5. Wash the potato and slice it lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Layer the bottom of your oiled dish with the sliced potatoes.
6. Spoon a third of the sauce over the potato slices.
7. Layer the eggplant slices neatly next.
8. Spoon a third of the sauce of the eggplant slices.
9. Layer the zucchini slices neatly next.
10. Spoon the remaining sauce over the zucchini slices. Cover with foil and bake for 1.5 hours @ 375°F/180°C.
11. Prepare the béchamel sauce. Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour, and whisk to blend. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Slowly pour the milk in, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until mixture begins to boil and thicken. (I like to have a glass of water nearby to add if I need to thin the sauce a bit.)
12. Pour béchamel sauce over the moussaka, drizzle with olive oil and bake uncovered for another 20-30 minutes.